3.24.2009

Obamaptimism

My understanding of the current financial hubbub is limited at best. At best. I've been trying to catch the big ones in the Times, the occasional Planet Money and NPR ramblings, but I just can't get my head in the game. I think fiscal ambition is as sparse in my genetic code as raw hockey talent, military service leanings or Merengue obsession. But what I did notice tonight during Obamas p.c. on economic stimulus, is that while he's no doubt gleaning many angles from his team of advisers and analysts, he's not merely regurgitating. His speech and body language are suggestive of an active engagement in the material. It's like he wants to be President...and do what a President should do. When he firmly ended one reporter's questioning why he waited days to comment on the bonuses, Obama said "It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak." Read you loud and clear, sir. I think W. was an illiterate, too. What was most encouraging for me though, was Obama's continued pressing of the notion that energy, education and health care can simultaneously create growth fiscally and holistically for the nation. On one hand, it's a general laundry list of Democratic rhetoric, but in light of his demonstrated understanding of what his top people are bringing to the table, I hope and to some degree expect, that he's working with actionable intelligence.

4 comments:

  1. It's more than smart. You also analyze what you see and read, and synthesize it. You could, you know, write an opinion column. I'd read it. Too bad newspapers are fading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will from now on bring both my Aunt and my Ma, along with me on all job interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'm being naive, but I also still believe that when Obama and his team roll up their sleeves and discuss policy, they want to have a debate about what is best for the country, whereas Bush and his team seemed just wanted to blindly advance an ideology irrespective of facts or results.

    I'm still getting used to the feeling of not distrusting everything the president says, and actually going to him for a little insight. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete